Monday, August 29, 2011

A contradiction in foods....

My parents are just done visiting. Guess what I heard from them? Time to lose weight... your getting chubby. I know, I know, its 'cause of all the food that I have been making. I make lots. I eat lots. Not something I can help... or is it? Guess its time to start exercising, but before that starts, time to indulge myself one last time before the great diet/workout begins. Its what I call the contradictory dish, a mixture of healthy habits and fatty foods, yet perfectly (in my sense) combined to create one my craziest creations. You'll see what I mean. To be honest, this is not the first time I made this dish, nor will it be my last (as if that would ever happen). I don't make it often, but when I do, its always well received. My family loves it when they eat it, and hates me after they do. Everything about it is contradictory. As you will soon see.

The recipe is as follows:

Spinach Mushroom Risotto (Serves 3, if you eat as much as I do, otherwise 5-6)

3 cups of rice (uncooked, washed)
1 medium onion
1/4 bag of baby spinach (put more to increase the contradiction*)
10 fresh button mushrooms
Dried Jalapeno chips
Dried Oregano
2 cups of Beef Stock (make your own, by in cartons, your choice)
2 cups of Heavy Cream (replace with milk to reduce contradiction*)
1/4 stick of Butter (replace with Olive Oil to reduce contradiction*)
1/2-1 cup of Whiskey
1 cup of cheese (Provolone, Parmesan-Reggiano, or mix of your favs)

*Changes in flavor may occur.

In a medium sized pan, melt the butter (all of it), sautee mushrooms and onions until onions are translucent, add the dried spices to taste (refer to Dinner Meeting post for how that works). Once the spices are added, add the beef stock and heavy cream, wait until boiling then add the Whiskey, boil until the alcohol burns off (or not, if you like the taste of alcohol.... 'nuff said). Turn down heat to maintain a slight boil, add rice, stir constantly until the rice is fully cooked. Add beef stock as necessary to maintain liquid to rice ratio. Mix in the cheese slowly, making sure all is melted, so you don't get any lumps. Plate and serve while hot. Top with diced green scallions and fresh ground pepper for a beautiful look.

The contradiction, for those that hasn't noticed is the mixture of healthy vegetables, and the massive amount of butter, cream, and whiskey in the mix. You may substitute with healthier options, but nothing taste quite the same as fresh mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter. There's just this nice earthy, tantalizing aroma that you don't get when you do the same thing with olive oil instead. You would know that smell when you make it, it is the only reason that I ever cook with butter (and most likely the only time) Normally I would use milk instead of beef stock, but since this is made with only veggies and rice, its nice to get that meaty, rich flavor without the addition of protein into the mix. The whiskey was kind of a spur of the moment thing. Just know that if you don't like the taste of alcohol, boil the liquid for a while longer so that the alcohol is gone, but the flavor remains. As for me, that didn't really happen. I was in a little bit of a rush, and added the rice before enough of the alcohol boiled off to my liking. I was slightly woozy by the time I was done with dinner.
O_O||| <(lightweight)

Looking back on this dish, it reminds me of the eternal question "to butter, or not to butter?" it is the eternal conflict in the world of culinary arts. I believe I have started to ramble. Time to amble off to another beginning of an adventure of aromas and tastes.

Live long and eat well.
Aphrael

No comments:

Post a Comment