Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yikes!!! Thought have overcome food...

It has been a long time since I have posted. What a crazy week and some days it has been. I suppose it was not that great an idea to have more than one writing intensive courses at a time. Now I have work that looms ahead like a 50 foot tall tsunami. I love reading, but a thousand pages a week? and not just any old regular novels, but anthropological articles that drives you to sleep in no time. For those who actually read this blog, it may be a blessing to know that half of the books/articles/excerpts/etc.. are food related. Look on the top left corner. I eat, therefore I think, this has now become I think, therefore I eat. Very interesting reading about food from a cultural and scientific standpoint. It made me realize how lucky I am to have such a great interest in food, you know. Especially since I care for nothing in my food except that I would like it to be made fresh if I can help it. I don't worry about carbs, fats, fibers, or any of those scientific sounding things, instead, I focus on the fresh and delicious produces, and the rich and savory meats.

YUM.

My schedule is really messy during the weekdays, so from now on, most post would probably happen during weekends, as I have a 9 to 9 schedule from Monday thru Thursdays. As a reward for coming back after sooo many days without a post, I'm gonna have 3 different recipes. A breakfast dish, a smoothie, and a delicious snack.

We begin with the breakfast. Seemed like I made it an eternity ago. It was Labor day morning. No work. So of course I had to cook something. I got out my homemade pesto, and the rest of the eggs in the fridge. and thought to make some green eggs. (Sounds weird, but delicious). What do I see? a pack of chorizo sausages sitting right there, telling me, "eggs? how boring. ADD ME!" Fifteen minutes and some tomatoes later, breakfast was ready. Recipe as follows:


Green Eggs and Ham (Labor Day celebratory scramble style.. serves 3)

1/2 pound of chorizo sausages
5 eggs
3 tablespoons of pesto (Make your own? recipe coming soon)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 green topped onion
Salt and Pepper

In a bowl, mix the eggs and pesto. This process may take a while, especially if you made the pesto a long time ago and kept it in the fridge (like ME, I make a bunch so I can eat it randomly :) ). But make sure that the mixture is properly blended, it ensures that you don't get chunks of pesto randomly. Heat a skillet, and scramble the egg mixture until nearly cooked (three quarters way solid) take out of skillet and set aside. In the pan, cook the chorizo sausage until brown, stir in the eggs, and add tomatoes in. Make sure its evenly mixed, add salt and pepper to taste. Plate and top with diced green onions. Voila!

So that was Labor Day. Later last week, I discovered a carton of walnuts lying around. My brother has this intriguing recipe for flourless, no baking needed dessert recipe that calls for lots of walnuts. But we're not talking about that. The walnuts were left over from that time. I decided then I was gonna toast the walnuts and eat them as a snack. You know it, when did I just let things go plain like that? Instead, I looked for lots of random stuff I had, and next thing you know, these turned up in my fridge (see picture below). Recipe as follows:

Hazelnut-Chocolate Encrusted Walnuts (No servings here, I'm sure you'll eat it all before giving it out)

1 pound of walnuts, shelled
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of oil
1/2 cup of chocolate syrup
4 tablespoon of Nutella spread
1/2 cup of honey

In a pot, heat the water, then add the sugar. Wait until sugar has fully dissolved, then add everything left besides the walnuts. Make sure to keep the heat low, so you don't burn the mix. Stir until the mixture becomes smooth, keep warm. In a separate, flat pan, slightly roast the walnuts. When done roasting, mix the walnuts into the semi-liquid mixture, make sure to coat the walnuts completely. Spread out on a  baking sheet, so that the nuts are not on top of one another. Put in fridge for about 4-5 hours, overnight for best effect.

The last recipe was made for my brother's girlfriend, one of the nicest person I had the privilege to meet. She had some problems with her gums, and was unable to chew anything without excruciating pain. So I made a super healthy smoothie loaded with fruit and all the goodies one would need to recover from such things. Recipe as follows:

Citrus Super Smoothie (Lame name, but true)

2 Navel Oranges
2 Key Limes
1/2 pound of Strawberries
2 cups of Greek plain yogurt
Honey (for sweetness, way better than sugar)
1 cup of Orange juice

No instructions..... you kinda just blend them together... yeah, in a blender.



Its great for when you are super stressed from writing 4 5 page papers for 5 different topics all in a span of 8 days, like me. Great for that little energy boost. Now, for those who know me personally, this blog was written while listening to Phantom of the Opera. And now off to make a midnight snack with honey and yogurt, then on to more reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. good luck with all your crazy essays and readings and good eats! this looks soooo delicious. i want to gobble up those walnuts!

    ReplyDelete